Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin Review

Publication Date: September 24, 2011
Publisher:
Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 452 pages
Source: Bought
Series: Mara Dyer #1


Synopsis: 
Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.

She’s wrong.


What I thought:
Okay, WOAH! I loved this a second time around.

Lets just say that this was one of those books that are like "OMG! WTF! WHAT IS GOING ON!!!" I was sucked in immediately. And I cannot wait to reread the second book!

Basically, this book is insane, literally! At the start, something bad happened to Mara and like a few weeks later, she doesn't remember. When I first picked up this book, I didn't know it was a horror/ghost storyish. I'm not a fan of creepy novels because they scare the life out of me, but this a a little romance in this. What I've seen is that, tons of people are deducting a star from this book is because of the romance. For me the romance didn't bother me at all. In my opinion, if it wasn't for Noah, Mara would be insane and heck... I will go insane.

I love how Michelle Hodkin can turn a eerie, creepy storyline into a funny but still creepy one. The characters were SPOT ON! Like seriously. I love Mara's brothers. They are so caring and Daniel, he is like my dream brother. And of course my admiration for Noah. He's like the only one that keeps Mara (aside from her family) from going insane or having her committed. Did I mention he's hot British. For me, the down fall was the interaction with Mara and her mom. She's just... ughhh.

OHMYGOD!! THAT ENDING!!! Here's another reason why I adore this book, it leaves you hanging. I knew something was gonna happen but I didn't know it was that! And when you finally thought you had everything figured, NO! Michelle Hodkin throws us an unexpected ending. DARN YOU CLIFF-HANGERS!!!!

Overall, I recommend that you pick up The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. Its a really fast paced book with a smack of romance cherry on top. :)


My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment