Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas Review

Publication Date: August 7, 2012
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 404 pages
Source: Bought
Series: Throne of Glass #1


Synopsis:

After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin. Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king's council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she'll serve the kingdom for three years and then be granted her freedom. Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best. Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another. Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined. 

What I thought: 

OH MY CHAOL GOODNESS!! THE FEELS I HAVE FOR THIS BOOK IS JUST... AHH!!

This is now my newly most favored fantasy book like ever! The characters were spot on. The plot and how it was written is beautiful. And it's just ... I can't even. I have no words for this.

Lets start off thanking Sarah J. Maas for writing this beautiful, heroic, amazing book! It's a really fast paced, action packed novel with amazing characters. I love how this book is like third person so we could see the other characters perspectives. Like half of the time it would be Celaena and the other would be Dorian and Chaol.

This kinda reminded me of The Hunger Games just because it was a competition with 24 participates/assassins competing each other but this is in the historic times while HG was in the futuristic.

One of the problems I did had with this book was the whole love triangle thing. I think it wasn't really necessary because basically everybody agrees that Celaena should be with Chaol which in fact I agree and I DO SHIP THEM!

Now on with the characters. Oh how I flipping love these characters. For starters Calaena is soo bad ass and deadly and ... Just asdfghjkl!! She isn't afraid to stand for what she believes in and she's not like a regular assassin! She cares for others like Chaol, Dorian, and the princess. She is one of the best/badass protagonist and female heroines I have ever read my life.

Chaol at first is really cruel and ignorant towards Celaena but throughout the the book, we see their relationship grow and he starts warming up to her. And I think that's what really hooked on to me with this relationship because as the reader, I like to see two characters start off hating each other and then start being more towards friends. Also in the end when he did that thing to that person I was like yelling and cheering because that was so nice of him even though it would scar him.

Dorian is a prince and just starts off being a nice, friendly, arrogant ass. I didn't mind him too much but it still bothered me. Of course he helps Celaena out and cares for her but in a relationship perspective it wouldn't work out anyways. And in the end where he did nothing, that ticked me off sooo much like you have no idea.

You will not want to miss out on this page turner! I HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone actually because its that good! But to be more specific, maybe the Hunger Games fandom and fantasy lovers out there. It's a fantastic read. I would say more but my vocabulary isn't strong enough to express my feelings.

Cannot wait to read the second one! 2013!!! Come sooner!!! 


My rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment