Sunday, January 13, 2013

Harken by Kaleb Nation Review

Publication Date: January 9, 2013
Format: E-book
Page Count: 375 pages
Source: Bought
Series: Harken #1


Synopsis: 
After surviving an assassination attempt, teenager Michael Asher discovers that he is at the center of a worldwide conspiracy reaching higher than any earthly power. A supernatural organization desperately wants him dead. He doesn't know why. Everyone who might have the answers has already been killed.

Tumbling into a web of international secrets, Michael is forced to fight back and dig up the truth. He begins to question how much of the world is truly as people are led to believe it is. Are there things that humanity is not being told? Who is the puppet master? And how far into the maze can he venture before he is lost forever?


What I Thought:
descriptionSEQUEL!!! I NEED SEQUEL!! Kaleb... you are a genius!! That ending... wow!! I don't even have time to process the thoughts and words I just read.

 At first, I didn't really know what to expect reading this only that its a Conspiracy / Sci-Fi story about a teenage boy named Michael who survived an assassination attempt. I don't know about you but, that sounds freaking awesome what?! So I'm just on my Kindle and reading Harken and I went about 20-30 pages in and I was hooked immediately.

We start off introduced to Michael who has a gift of reading people's eyes meaning he can see their emotions and he's at the center of a worldwide conspiracy theory. He's one of those characters that the readers love but at some point also hate because he can be an idiot at some points. As the story went on, I grew to love him even more. He takes risks for the people he cares about and that is, to me, what makes a strong main character because I don't like witty protagonists and Harken is an action story. We need bad ass main and supporting characters to fulfill the plot and Mr. Kaleb Nation did that.

This book involves a lot of action. It is definitely a fast read for me because most of the time I would just be like "Wait...WHAT?! How...But...HUH?!" and I would just keep reading 'till the end just to see how it answers all of my questions and when I saw

                                                         THE END OF BOOK ONE

Half of me was like "OMG WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?! I NEED THE SEQUEL!! ARC! GIVE ME ARC! And the other half ... left me in tears. I was more confused, it answered some of my questions and then left EVEN MORE questions.

On with the supporting characters. Callista and Thad are the Chosens and they help Michael throughout the whole novel. Callista is an interesting character which I have ups and downs with. Sometimes she starts blaming Michael for things and that kinda gets very annoying even when Michael couldn't do anything about it. Still, she's a very strong character and I will grow more to like her. I adore Thad. He's loyal and he doesn't let his past bother him which is good for him, he's self-sacrificing which is amazing.

Most YA novels, there are romance. In Harken, I wouldn't say there isn't any but there's a hint of a romance between Michael and Callista, but it doesn't really interfere with the whole plot.
The chemistry isn't the main focus of the whole book but it was nice to see the relationship. It was nice and light and I'm definitely excited to see where it goes.

When I got to the end, my heart just dropped and my brain just shut off. It left me wanting more. I just loved the ending. There is a cliff-hanger but it was a nice cliff-hanger and if you know me or read my reviews, I HATE CLIFF-HANGERS. I get so worked up about them because they are torture. It felt as if it left you hanging to continue the series and to realize that it's the end of the book and you should really read the next book to find out what happens.

Overall, this action packed, thriller, and a touch of romance will keep you hanging 'till the very end. Pick it up on Amazon right now!! GO DO IT!! ITS AMAZING!! Don't be an apple. Go read it!!

*Side note: I freaking love the cover. It's so mysterious and just the name HARKEN*


My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment