Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Blood Red Road by Moira Young Review

Publication Date: June 7, 2011
Publisher:
Margaret K. McElderry Books 
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 459 pages
Source: Bought
Series: Dust Lands #1


Synopsis:
Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back.

Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.

Blood Red Road has a searing pace, a poetically minimal writing style, violent action, and an epic love story. Moira Young is one of the most promising and startling new voices in teen fiction.

Review:

More of a 3.5.

I liked the plot and the element to it. I just hated the writing style. It was way to difficult to read and I had to read it twice to understand it.

The way it's written is really different from other young adult novels. Like instead of saying "I said" or "she said hi to me", it's "I say" and "she says." It didn't flow in my mind and I had to reread the sentences to keep up what they are saying. Moira Young does not use quotation marks around dialogue and she uses slang, which was really different. That's just the major thing I had a problem with.

Other than the writing style, this was actually a descent book. Saba goes on a journey to find her brother with her sister who she blames the death of their mother. Along the way, she meets Jack and she doesn't want to have a relationship or anything that would distract her. Soon Jack helps Saba with the journey and everything goes east from there. Not really east but you get what I mean.

Overall it is a fast paced book with difficult and original writing style. I say go pick it up and I will be reading the next book to find out what happens.

Rating:

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand the language thing. I read (listened to?) this one as an audiobook and it seemed to work better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm planing to reread it with the audiobook.

      Delete