Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Splintered by A.G. Howard Review

Publication Date: January 1, 2013
Publisher: Amulet Books
Format: E-book
Page Count: 371 pages
Source: Borrowed
Series: Splintered #1


Synopsis: 
Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.

When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family.

She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.


Review:  

4.5 Rating

This by far I would say is my favorite take on Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. This book was so amazing I had to go look up on a thesaurus for synonyms for 'amazing' because I will be using that word a lot in this review.

Since she was very young, Alyssa can hear bugs and flowers whispering and talking to her. Especially a black moth. One day Alyssa learns that Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland is more than just a book, its real. There with the help of Jeb, her best friend and crush, and Morpheus, the black moth who Alyssa grew up with, she has to fix Alice's mistakes in order to save her family and friends.

Something about it sucked me in immediately and it got me reading up until 2 am because I HAD to finish it. Sleeping wasn't even an option when I started it. Everything was just amazing! The writing style, the cover -which I am loving, the synopsis, the characters, EVERYTHING! I seriously need this book on my shelf ASAP!

The writing is breathtaking and stunning. It's not slow, not over detailed, and amazing. It made me cry, made me laugh, and made my heart break a bazillion times. The world and characters A.G. Howard build was so captivating I really wanted to be Alyssa and go to Wonderland.

This Wonderland still has that wonder feel but a little more morbid, dark, and a little eerie which I thought was great because I loved how an innocent classic became this creepy in a good way.

Okay. If I loved this book so very much with all my heart, why did I give it a 4.5 rating instead of a 5? The reason for that is the very beginning of the book. About maybe 4, 5, chapters in I didn't really care about the ancestors and after those chapter then I really got sucked into the book.

Now for my two boys... Jeb and Morpheus. Can I really choose between these two? Can I really? Jeb, a human who's Alyssa's best friend. Sweet, loyal, an artist, and gorgeous. Morpheus, Alyssa's childhood friend who used to play together and someone who lives in Wonderland. Mysterious, sexy, British accent, and after everything, caring. Obviously I can't choose so I'm on that white line for now.

Twisted, and magical, I need to go buy this so I can reread this and forever love it. I HIGHLY recommend you all read this and GAH! What else can I say about this? I really really need the next book!


Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment