Saturday, July 6, 2013

Black City by Elizabeth Richards Review

Publication Date: May 7, 2013
Publisher: Speak
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 400 pages
Source: Bought
Series: Black City #1


Synopsis:

A dark and tender post-apocalyptic love story set in the aftermath of a bloody war.

In a city where humans and Darklings are now separated by a high wall and tensions between the two races still simmer after a terrible war, sixteen-year-olds Ash Fisher, a half-blood Darkling, and Natalie Buchanan, a human and the daughter of the Emissary, meet and do the unthinkable—they fall in love. Bonded by a mysterious connection that causes Ash’s long-dormant heart to beat, Ash and Natalie first deny and then struggle to fight their forbidden feelings for each other, knowing if they’re caught, they’ll be executed—but their feelings are too strong.

When Ash and Natalie then find themselves at the center of a deadly conspiracy that threatens to pull the humans and Darklings back into war, they must make hard choices that could result in both their deaths.


Review: 

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT! I did not expect that to happen with the twist in the end about Natalie. I will say I deducted a star just because Natalie and Day were really annoying in the beginning. I mean, just because some people are different, doesn't mean they don't have any humanity. If people who are capable of love, is capable of being saved.

We are first introduced to Ash, who I just adore. He’s a half-blood Darkling and very sweet and caring but can be an ass sometimes. He deals with Haze, which is an addictive drug because he needs the money to provide him and his dad. Then Natalie sees this and she’s the daughter of a government official. Later on stuff happens and they can’t stay away from each other.

The writing style is gripping. I finished this in one sitting because I HAD to finish this. I really needed to know what happens.

I didn’t like the beginning because Natalie and Day were bitches and it just got really annoying, but near the middle, Nat starts to see how these Darklings are the same as any other human beings. Nat is not my favorite protagonists, but she is the most changing character personality wise from any first books in a series.

Ash is scorned everywhere he goes. People look at him as if he’s an abomination since he’s half-human from his dad and half Darkling from his mom. However, underneath his bad boy persona, he has a heart and truly cares for the people he loves.

AND THAT ENDING! I almost died. I did not expect that big of a reveal about Natalie. I knew something was wrong like maybe an affair but holy crap, I did not see that coming!

Overall, I am excited to read the next book and see how this progresses.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment