Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White Review

Expected Publication Date: September 10, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: ARC
Page Count: 352 pages
Source: Publisher


Synopsis:
Isadora’s family is seriously screwed up.

Of course, as the human daughter of Egyptian gods, that pretty much comes with the territory. She’s also stuck with parents who barely notice her, and a house full of relatives who can’t be bothered to remember her name. After all, they are going to be around forever—and she’s a mere mortal.

Isadora’s sick of living a life where she’s only worthy of a passing glance, and when she has the chance to move to San Diego with her brother, she jumps on it. But Isadora’s quickly finding that a “normal” life comes with plenty of its own epic complications—and that there’s no such thing as a clean break when it comes to family. Much as she wants to leave her past behind, she can’t shake the ominous dreams that foretell destruction for her entire family. When it turns out there may be truth in her nightmares, Isadora has to decide whether she can abandon her divine heritage after all.


Review: 

3.5 stars

It was nice but not heavily, action packed. Sorta boring and lacking in stuff but it’s okay.

Isis and Osiris have human children together every twenty years. The main character, Isadora, is 16 and her mother is already pregnant for about 7 months already. Her family is pretty screwed up and when I say screwed up, I mean it. She barely exists and no one pays attention to her. So she moves to San Diego with her brother and there she meets new friends and a cute boy but these dreams she keeps having can end her family altogether.

I had very high expectations of this book. This is my first Kiersten White book and I didn’t enjoy this that much, but I will be reading her other books. When I think of paranormal or mythology there has to be some action if not a lot, and if I remembered right, there wasn’t any action in it.

The writing style didn’t hook me in immediately until we were introduced with Ry, the love interest in the story. It was boring half of it, but I wanted to finish it to see how it ends and I’m going to say it right now, I knew it. The ending was pretty predicable.

The romance between Isadora and Ry was complicated. It’s one of those insta-loves. Isadora obviously is attracted to Ry but doesn’t want a relationship but Ry does but wants to take it slow as friends first. I’m making it really confusing but you get the point.

Overall, I thought it was nice but lacked in some stuff. I will be reading more Kiersten White books but for this, it was alright.


ARC provided by Edelweiss and HarperTeen

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment