Saturday, August 3, 2013

Heartbeat by Elizabeth Scott Review

Expected Publication Date: January 28, 2014
Publisher: Harlequin Teen 

Format: E-Book
Page Count: 304 pages
Source: Publisher


Synopsis:

Life. Death. And...Love?

Emma would give anything to talk to her mother one last time. Tell her about her slipping grades, her anger with her stepfather, and the boy with the bad reputation who might be the only one Emma can be herself with.

But Emma can't tell her mother anything. Because her mother is brain-dead and being kept alive by machines for the baby growing inside her.

Meeting bad-boy Caleb Harrison wouldn't have interested Old Emma. But New Emma-the one who exists in a fog of grief, who no longer cares about school, whose only social outlet is her best friend Olivia-New Emma is startled by the connection she and Caleb forge.

Feeling her own heart beat again wakes Emma from the grief that has grayed her existence. Is there hope for life after death-and maybe, for love?


Review:

Life. Death. And Love. It has it all.

Emma is a seventeen year old who lives with her stepfather Dan, and goes to the hospital every day to see her dead mother hooked onto wires for a living baby inside of her. Initial reaction: That’s messed up. Emma is furious about it and lashes out to Dan –so did I. Then one day she meets Caleb, a guy with a reputation that steals cars, does drugs, and gets into trouble. From there on, Emma leans on to him from what’s happening with her life and only Caleb truly understands her.

It went by really fast. One point I’m just yelling at Dan and then boom, end. I’m pretty sure that this is a stand-a-lone (don’t quote me on that) but it seemed sudden. Like the ending was way too fast for my brain to understand what happened.

I decided this was a 4/5 stars because I hated Dan so much. He's a bastard and he says things that he thinks that is true but is so not. Even in the end, I still hated him. He was just a frustrating character and all he cared about was the baby. I didn’t even care about the baby because I also was frustrated about how the doctors and Dan only kept Emma’s mom body alive because of the baby. As you can see my hatred for Dan from my status updates:

9.0% "Already I hate this Dan guy. ITS HIS FAULT! I hate him so much. All he cares about is the baby -.-"

11.0% "STOP TALKING ABOUT THE FRIGIN BABY DAN! JUST SHUT UP IN GENERAL."

17.0% "You bastard! SHE DIDN'T WANT THIS BABY! YOU DID! I think this whole book I'm just gonna yell at Dan. But it's still a good book"

50.0% "Uh oh. Being drunk is never a good thing. Funny but never a good thing. XD"

55.0% "Dan, I'm tired of your bullshit so JUST SHUT UP! You know nothing. NOTHING! And Emma, U GO GIRL!"

55.0% "OHH NO YOU DIDN'T! SHE IS NOT JEALOUS YOU TWAT! SHE IS FURIOUS THAT YOU LET HER MOTHER, YOUR WIFE GO THROUGH WITH THIS!"


Aside from frustrating characters, I love Emma and Caleb. Caleb is so sweet to Emma and he understands her. He’s like her rock and they get each other and that was nice.

This doesn’t come out until January 2014 but I will say this is worth checking out.

ARC provided by Edelweiss and Harlequin Teen 

Rating:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment