Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins Review

Publication Date: December 2, 2010
Publisher: Speak
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 372 pages
Source: Bought
Series: Anna and the French Kiss #1

Synopsis:

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris--until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all...including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?


Review:

I loved reading this book! It's a great summer read and an amazing debut, contemporary novel. 

It took me so long to finally pick this book up. I think the reason why is because I don't usually read contemporary and the original covers was huge major turn off. But I am in love with these new covers. It looks hipster and they make my bookshelf really pretty.

Pretty much everyone read the book already so long story short, Anna is American and goes to a boarding school in Paris. There she meets new friends, explore the French culture, and fall in love.

I loved the characters. Anna is just so likeable and I could relate to her on some stuff. She's just the sweetest. Étienne St. Clair is amazing too. He was born in America, raised in U.K. and goes to school in Paris. I wouldn't say he's a major flirt but he is very charming and good looking and many girls have crushes on him.

I did love the characters but not all of them. There was some of them that was so melodramatic about things and it bothered me. BUT for the most part, they own up on what they did and apologize. 

What I love about Stephanie Perkins' writing is that it so relatable and real. I knew I would like this book right on the first page because what she wrote, I could relate to that and it's so me. Another thing is I liked the dialog. It wasn't sugar coated but it felt so real. It felt like this should really happen in real life. Like the conversations the characters where having, I could picture it. Plus, it was really funny. Anna is an amazing person.

The relationship with Anna and Étienne was so cute and to top it off, they are in Paris, the city of love. Their relationship felt like a real life relationship. They had ups and downs and problems but they figure something out. I don't know if this is really necessary but, when I went in this book, I expected the main love interests single. Étienne wasn't. He had a girlfriend but their relationship was rocky but the reader can tell he doesn't even care for his girlfriend but instead care for Anna more. 

Don't let the covers and the title make your derision to read this. As cheesy and it sounds, this book is extremely well written and it's an amazing love story.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment