Sunday, May 15, 2016

Gathering Darkness by Morgan Rhodes Review

Publication Date: December 9, 2014
Publisher: Razorbill
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 407 pages
Series: Falling Kingdoms #3


Synopsis:

Prince Magnus has just witnessed torture, death, and miracles during the bloody confrontation that decimated the rebel forces. Now he must choose between family and justice as his father, the cruel King Gaius, sets out to conquer all of Mytica. All Gaius needs now are the Kindred—the four elemental crystals that give godlike powers to their owner. But the King of Blood is not the only one hunting for this ancient, storied magic. . . .

THE KRAESHIANS join the hunt. Ashur and Amara, the royal siblings from the wealthy kingdom across the Silver Sea, charm and manipulate their way to the Kindred, proving to be more ruthless than perhaps even the King of Blood himself.

THE REBELS forge ahead. Princess Cleo and vengeful Jonas lead them, slaying with sweetness, skill, and a secret that can control Lucia’s overpowering magic—all so they can use the Kindred to win back their fallen kingdoms.

THE WATCHERS follow Melenia out of the Sanctuary. They ally in the flesh with King Gaius, who vows to use Lucia’s powers to unveil the Kindred.


Review:

Every book in the Falling Kingdoms series gets better and better as it progresses.

Like the previous book, it immediately picks up where it left off. King Gaius is still ruling over the kingdoms. Everyone is going apeshit for the Kindred and the elemental crystals.

Back in Rebel Spring, I was pretty set on my feelings about the characters. Now, I'm solid with it. Cleo and Magnus continue to be my top favorite characters and Lucia is my least. Of course there’s other characters that I despise like the Kraeshians and King Gaius but for a core character, I still don’t care where Lucia’s character is going. Like if there was a possibility that Lucia’s character is cut off, I would be fine with it.

What I like the most in this series is the romance doesn’t overshadow the plot. It’s a subtle and slow burning romance that takes over a span of the books. The romance takes time to develop and I like that. I don’t know about you but the sexual tension between Cleo and Magnus is what I live for (sorry Jonas shippers…not really). They care for each other even though they don’t want to say it or realize it until last minute.

Morgan Rhodes doesn’t care AF about our feelings. She will destroy them left and right with no remorse and I like that. She takes risks and does what she wants and I am so on board with that. This series is turning into one of my new obsessions.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment